Friday, October 17, 2008

A Day of Domestic Bliss

Yesterday I had the best day I have had in a long time. Jake and Katie are off from school for UEA. We decided that we would stay home all day in our P.J's and watch movies. We raided the redbox (twice). The kids enjoyed not having to be rushed off to any activities and I enjoyed not have to take them to any.
My first domestic act on this great day was learning how to knit. My friend Deborah came over with her cute girls (who joined in the movie madness)to teach me to knit. I am sure that it was painful for her to watch my slow progress but she was very patient with me and I now know two stitches, knit and pearl. I have been working on a scarf and have had a lot of practice starting it over again. Every time I turn around Katie is crowing "Mom, Lydia has your sticks again" Yep you guessed it. The sticks are my knitting needles which means my knitting is all undone. Lydia needs a new hobby different from mine.

The second great domestic act on this fine day was the baking of bread and cinnamon rolls. This was my very first successful loaf of bread. It did not turn into a brick as soon as it was cool and stayed soft even a few days latter. It was a great recipe (thanks Brandi). I also made some really yummy tortellini basil soup. I tried it at enrichment and it was great. Everybody except for Aaron really like it and he doesn't like soup because it is not a meal or beans so it didn't have a chance. Here is the recipe for the yummy soup.

Tortellini Basil Soup
4 cups canned chicken broth
1 9 oz. package cheese filled tortellini, uncooked
1 (15 oz.) can cannelloni beans, drained
1 cup chopped tomato
1/2 cup fresh shredded basil
2 tbs. basal mic vinegar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 tsp. freshly group pepper

Bring broth to a boil. Add tortellini and cook 6 minutes. Stir in beans and tomato. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or until heated. Remove from heat; stir in basil, vinegar and salt. Sprinkle evenly with cheese and pepper.

It was really quick and great tasting. Everyone try it.



Some where in between my other domestic activities on this day I found time to make some new hair bows because we sure need more of them. I made these very spooky Halloween ones. cute!

My favorite new bow however are these very cute mini mouse bows. I think that my favorite part was making the very tinny polka dot bow for the mini. Love it. They make me want to plan a trip to Disneyland, today.

Katie had to get in on the action. Here she is being very silly and modeling the cute mini mouse bows.

and then the Halloween bows.

I got so much done today that I am going to have to rest for the remainder of the week. Being a domestic goddess is exhausting.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

You ARE a domestic goddess!!! Thanks so much for the Minnie hair clips - Piper really likes them (and so do I).

Rosalyn said...

If you go to Disneyland--take us with you!