Thursday, July 15, 2010

Favorite summer recipes

This week has been long and hot. Probably long, because it has been hot. ( I think we hit 100 tomorrow.) When afternoon hits we are all just ready for a break. I was reading on line and found a recipe for sidewalk chalk paint. It was simple and sounded fun.
Side walk chalk paint.
1/4 cup corn starch
1/4 cup water
food coloring

The recipe said to go light on the food coloring so that it doesn't stain your sidewalk. I used one drop and it washed of really easily.
Katie and Lydia had a fantastic time. The did this for over an hour. It was so worth the little effort it took.
Katie asked if we could do different colors today.
My deal of the day tip is to buy your cornstarch in bulk at Win-Co if you are close by one. They carry it in the bulk section and it is super cheap.
After the painting we had an ice cream cone while we waited for dad to come home.
Can you tell what flavor Lydia's is?
The next recipe we tried was for a bake mac and cheese. It was the BEST! We saw it on America's Test Kitchen. You can find the recipe here.

A friend of mine shared this playdough recipe with me a few months ago and the playdough is still in great shape. I like it so much better than the kind from the store.


Favorite Playdough
2 cups flour
4 T cream of tarter
1 cup salt
mix dry ingredients

1/4 cup oil
2 cups water
1 tsp vanilla
food coloring
mix together

*mix wet ingredients in a medium sauce pan. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl and add to wet ingredients. Cook over low heat, stirring often until the consistency of mashed potatoes. Cool and knead. Store in a ziplock bag.

*cream of tarter is also really cheap at Win-Co. I think I refilled my tall jar for .78. LOVE
Win-Co!

These are all of my best tips for the week. Enjoy.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Nice link :)

xraywells said...

Thanks! I learned from the best,

jomama said...

thanks for the tips. i have a similar playdough recipe i LOVE- but it doesn't have so much salt, which I prefer cuz it doesn't dry out your hands so much. i'll share next time I see you. and we'll be making the sidewalk chalk tomorrow. - cousin jo